My new bi-weekly freelance game journalism podcast w/ co-host Andrew Hayward, The Freelance Game is now LIVE! Check it out and please subscribe on iTunes! If you enjoy the show, we’d really appreciate a positive rating!
So…errr…THAT happened! My apologies for being quiet of late. It’s been a weird summer. I’ve been working on a few book projects, slinging words in the freelance trenches, running my podcast The Freelance Game, and oh yeah, I launched an indie game studio called Touchfight Games. Ugh…What? Yeah.
Our first game, Go To Bed: Survive The Night, is out today on PC (Early Beta) and will also be launching later this month on iOS. It’s a creepy indie horror “bedroom defense” game that’s heavily inspired by Edward Gorey and other demented goodness.
I did a lot of the coding, some eerie audio whispering stuff, and a lot of the design, which is weird and crazy and woohoo! My cohorts Len and Jon also did a ton of work to make this thing as kickass as possible, we’ve got big plans for what’s ahead. It’s been a wild ride. If you want to check out the game, grab a copy, and support my crazy new side-quest adventure in any way, that’d be super duper appreciated!
The PC version comes bundled with the official soundtrack, and it has the first main story mode plus an unlockable challenge mode. We’ll be doubling the content with a second campaign and other unlockable goodies in the coming months. You’ll also gain access to a Steam code, once the game is greenlit. If you want to help with that, please vote YES here.
Thanks again for your time and support!
Why No Games Journalism?
As a side note, yes, I’ve completely backed off of any/all “game journalism” or “game critic” type freelance work. I’m still a full-time freelancer and am doing lots of game and tech-related writing work (looking for gigs, if you’re hiring BTW) on the side — just not for traditional press outlets at this point.
This is part-necessity, part-byproduct of my move into creating an indie game studio. While I’m not slinging reviews, news, and features for gaming outlets anymore, I’m still carrying the info-sharing torch on how to do all of that good stuff over at my podcast The Freelance Game with colleague Andrew Hayward, so check that out. You can still also grab my current books in the Game Journo Guides Series, and keep your eyes peeled next year for other related books!
- Help Greenlight my first game on Steam, Go To Bed: Survive The Night (plus first BETA footage!)
- Dev Talk: Indie Development, Game Journalism, and Straddling the Fence
- Shop Talk Interviews: Episode 1 – Andrew Groen on kickstarting his new Eve Online history book
- Join The New Freelance Game Journo Network Facebook Group!
- Pay What You Want for Freelance Writing Hacks Audiobook + PDF Bundle!
- The Freelance Game Podcast Ep 7 – Interview with Francesca Reyes (OXM)
- The Freelance Game Podcast Ep 6 — Hitting The Panic Button!
- I want your feedback! Help me out by taking the Game Journo Guides Reader Survey!
- Shop Talk: The First Graph From Hell